The Forest of Love

Forest of Love Newsletter

From the desk of the Forest of Love Forest Ranger:

Hello again fellow tree huggers!

I hope this newsletter finds you well and with those you love on this new year.  The Forest of Love is certainly doing very well!  We’ve just had our 1200th tree planted and more confirmations of love are coming in every single day.  It warms my heart to see so many people in love.  Speaking of hearts and love, by the way, I hope you’ve got your Valentine’s day ideas for love and romance all lined up!   Saint Valentine’s Day, of course, is on February 14th this year as it is every year.  In 2008 it falls on Thursday… so be ready to wow your sweetie after work!

I can still remember back when I was very young and in Kindergarten exchanging Valentines with all my female classmates.  Back then I had no idea what it all meant… all I knew was that I had to give these dumb little pink cards to all the icky icky girls in my class… eeeww.   

I have, of course, grown out of that.  Something in me must’ve realized, even back then, that girls weren’t all that icky, because I still have the little pink Valentine’s Day card from the girl that would eventually become my first crush in High School.  Interesting how things work out sometimes.

Saint Valentine’s Day dates all the way back to the Middle Ages, though the traditions associated with it today didn’t take hold until much later.  Saint Valentine’s Day as we know it is actually named after two  men, both named Valentine, and both considered to be Christian martyrs.   Interestingly, neither of them were particularly known for romance or love, that came later with the English Poet Geoffrey Chaucer and his work, ‘Parlement of Foules’ in 1382.   He writes:

For this was on seynt Volantynys day
Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese his make.
In this case the term ‘chese his make’ can be translated to choose his mate.  The poem was intended to honor the King of England in his engagement to his new Queen.

The Valentine’s Day as we know in the US it got its start during the 1840’s, and the first true Valentine’s Day Cards were sold in the late 1840’s by Esther Howland of Massachusetts.  The Greeting Card Association now gives away the annual “Ester Howland Award for a Greeting Card Visionary.”  As time went on and the world become more and more commercialized, greeting cards gave way to gifts, candy, flowers, jewelry and all manner of things designed to show love and romance for others (including virtual tree carvings). 

Saint Valentine’s Day isn’t only a holiday celebrated in the United States, many other countries celebrate it as well, though they all have their own way of doing so.  The common thread running through all celebrations of Valentine’s Day is love and respect for your partner, your friends, your family, and yourself. 

For more detailed information on Valentine’s Day, visit's_Day

Some Interesting Valentine’s Day Facts:

Valentine’s Day seems to be popular for procrastinators, since 50% of all card purchases are done between Feb 8th and Feb 14th, just six days.

According to Hallmark, 180 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged annually.

In one survey, 61% of men say they would like to receive flowers on Valentines day, however…

Only 40% of men say they have ever received flowers as a Valentine’s day gift.  Maybe because..

73% of people who buy flowers for Valentine’s Day are Men, leaving only 27% for Women.

15% of Americans (males and females) send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day.

Remember this year to set some special time aside for your loved ones this Valentine’s Day.  No matter how you celebrate… gifts, cards, a special romantic night out, or even just a phone call to say hello… tell someone you love them this February 14th.  If you have friends or loved ones who are looking for an interesting and special way to share their love this year, don’t forget the Forest of Love!  The more trees we have the more love we share, and the more love we share the better the forest becomes for everyone.
On a non-Valentine’s Day related note, I’ve been working on some changes to the Forest of Love and should have them done by the end of February if all goes well.  I was hoping to have them done by the time this newsletter went out, but, as many projects tend to do, the update has grown far beyond my initial designs.  I’m very excited to release the changes and can’t wait to see how popular they’ll be.  Here’s a hint:  It’s going to be great for the environment!

Don’t forget to hug your special someone today and tell them you love them, and thank you for being a part of the Forest of Love.

Until next time… thanks again, and I wish you and yours all the best!

-Ed, the Forest of Love Forest Ranger.